AmigaActive (1243/2143)

From:A. D. Eccleshall
Date:17 May 2000 at 12:05:20
Subject:Re: SCSI -> IDE

Hiya,

Michael Carter wrote:
> Hi,
> with the expensive cost of SCSI drives these days IDE is looking muchnicer
> with 40gb being as cheap as £150. Anyway 'Laire' on IRC just pointed me to
> this interesting dongle
> http://www.hantz.com/asp/NewProducts/Produkte_3.asp?ProduktID=495&m=0&s=&CID
> =0 which allows you to plug in an IDE drive to a SCSI connection! Cool? :)

Yup. It allows UDMA IDE drives to be used on either Ultra-SCSI2 or
Wide-SCSI host adaptors. It's available in variuous configurations,
either external boxes with the wonder-board and a hard rive installed,
all with mini 50 pin SCSI adapters, from DM658.80 to DM1077.60,
dependant on HD capacity. Also DM357.60 for just the external case.

Also, removable drive bays (no HDD fitted), with either standard 50 pin
Ultra-SCSI2 connector for DM216, or with 68 pin Wide-SCSI connetor for
DM264.

Any OEM guys who might be interested, can also buy the bare electronics
device fro DM180 (standard 50 pin SCSI), or DM228 for the 68 pin
version.

Doesn't require any software or drivers, so should be OK with any host
adapter (the website mentions IBM PCs, Workstations, Server, PS/2
Systeme und RISC 6000, APPLE MACs, HP PCs + Server, SUN + SGI
Workstations .

Only a couple of queries:

Are any Amiga SCSI adapters Ultra-SCSI2 or Wide-SCSI compatible?

Would it be of much benefit (i.e., are we likely to see much of a speed
improvement over IDE), assuming it works?

> bye,
> M!ke Carter [Software Development Engineer]

C'ya

Adam

Here Bunny Bunny...
Check it Out